How much advance notice does the utility require to process a move?

The notice required is 5 business days.

What is included in the Electricity Charge on my bill?

The Electricity Charge is the amount charged by the power generator for the electricity you used. Midland PUC passes this cost on to you without mark up.

What are Regulatory Charges?

This includes the cost of services required to operate the electricity system and run the wholesale market. The majority of these charges are variable and increase or decrease depending on the amount of your adjusted usage (amount of electricity we purchased on your behalf after adjustment for line losses). The Ontario Energy Board regulates these charges.

What is the Debt Retirement Charge for?

This is a charge set by the Ontario Government which will be used to pay down the residual debt of the former Ontario Hydro.

I am having trouble paying my bills. Is there anything you can do to help?

Yes. Midland PUC cares about our customers. If you are having problems paying your hydro bill, call us as soon as possible at 705-526-9361 and we will discuss payment arrangements.

I’ve made payment arrangements on my overdue account, why do you still send me notices?

Your account still has a balance owing and as a result the computer generated notices are automatically mailed until the balance is cleared.

Can I balance my payments out so they’re level throughout the year?

Yes! We have a Budget Payment Plan that will help you average out your Standard Supply Service monthly payments. Under this system we evaluate the previous 24 months’ consumption to calculate your average monthly payment amount. On your twelfth statement, you will receive a settle-up bill. This statement takes any debit or credit remaining on your account plus your current consumption for the total amount required to settle for the year. Your account is then re-evaluated and set up once again for another budget payment plan year. Your new amount is indicated on your settle-up statement.

Can I get an estimate of my monthly budget payment before I sign up?

Yes. Call 705-526-9361 and one of our Customer Service Representatives will give you an estimate on the spot.

I don’t want to mail my payments. Is there another way for me to pay?

Yes. There are several convenient ways for you to pay. The easiest is signing a pre-authorized payment plan and have your payments automatically withdrawn from your bank account each month. You can also pay your bill in person at your bank, at any automated banking machine that is connected to your account, via the internet or at our office, 16984 Highway #12, Midland.

Will I need to pay a security deposit to open an account with Midland PUC?

All new account requests are assessed for a security deposit. Deposit is based on the information provided. For further information with regard to deposits, please visit the payment options page.

Will I receive interest on my security deposit?

If you pay your security deposit by cheque or cash, you will be paid interest. For further information with regard to deposits, please visit the payment options page.

Do I have to choose an energy retailer?

No. You may choose who you purchase electricity from. If you choose to do nothing, you will continue to be served by Midland PUC as a Standard Supply Services customer. This means you will be billed for your electricity usage at the market rate with no mark up by Midland PUC.

What exactly do electricity retailers do?

Energy retailers serve as middlemen, contracting for wholesale electricity as well as other products and services and then selling them to customers with the added incentive of payment plans, promotional offers and other perks. When you’re dealing with an energy retailer, cost is often only one element of the total package. That’s why it’s important to shop around and compare the various options and terms available from several retailers before signing a contract.

What do I need to do before I sign a contract with an electricity retailer?

Read the contract carefully before you sign it. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions, and ask questions if anything is unclear. Ensure the retailer is licensed by the Ontario Energy Board to sell electricity by calling 1-877-632-2727 or by visiting the Ontario Energy Board’s web site.

Can I cancel a contract with a supplier once I’ve signed it?

As a customer, there is a “cooling off” period that is observed once you’ve signed the contract. However, it is suggested you review your contract with your retailer and visit the Ontario Energy Board’s site for further information.

What questions should I ask an electricity retailer?

You will want to know:
  • Has the retailer got a valid license from the OEB to sell electricity?
  • What is the company’s background and what experience does it have in selling electricity.
  • What price is it charging for electricity and how does that compare to what you’re currently paying?
  • What is the start date and the length of the contract?
  • Will the price change? When? By how much?
  • How can you cancel the contract, and what penalties or service charges would apply?

Is the rate charged by an electricity retailer regulated?

No. The rate charged is not regulated by the OEB. This is the price that appears on your contract. Should the cost of electricity either increase or decrease, you will be charged the price determined by your contract.

How do I know if the price quoted is reasonable?

By comparing offers from several different retailers, you can get a good idea of what is considered competitive pricing. Remember that customer choice and competitive pricing apply only to the electricity portion of your bill.

For further information on electricity prices for your business, please call 705-526-9361.